v238 released

qbism Super8 is a gritty software-rendering 3D engine based on Makaqu and other GPL Quake source code.
func_qbism

v238 released

Post by func_qbism » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:13 am

Super8 v238 fixes pixel aspect and view model issues when status bar background is active.
https://github.com/qbism/super8/releases/tag/v238
Welcome to Rivendale, Mister Anderson.

antiriad

Re: v238 released

Post by antiriad » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:14 pm

Hi and thank you for Super8: IMHO it is a true form of art! :)

Actually I'm playing it on Windows 10 but I'd really, really like to run Super8 engine on DOS or (natively) Linux.
It is possible to compile Super8 under Linux or to download a DOS version of the latest release?

Thank you!
Last edited by antiriad on Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

func_qbism

Post by func_qbism » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:17 pm

A year or so ago there was a qbism DOS port by Truth posted in the Vogons forum that backported some newer build features. The links may still be there although Truth was no longer active last time I checked.

Linux would be nice, and I'm spending more time on Linux Mint myself. However it's low priority unless some other coder jumps in. Could happen as did briefly with DOS (and eveb Win98) in the past. Linux would some traction if it happened.

antiriad

Post by antiriad » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:39 am

Thank you for your answer. :)
So a "full-featured" v238 is impossible on DOS?
About a Linux version: it is "only" a matter of source compiling or some other coding is needed?
I know Super8 works well under Wine, but a native Linux version would be cool, especially considering that usually Linux is installed on older (but still roaring) systems.

P.S. Is the engine name "Qbism" or "Super8"? :oops:
Last edited by antiriad on Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

func_qbism

Post by func_qbism » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:15 pm

DOS could run most of the features. It's a memory limitation, and speed limitation on true retro hardware. I did a DOS port quite some time ago (before the port on Vogons) and it just couldn't load some of the large maps in DOS RAM limit. There's a QDOS port out there I don't know much about, but I've looked at Q2DOS and it's amazing what that team accomplished.

Linux would need special attention for sound, mouse input, and video beyond just compiling.

antiriad

Post by antiriad » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:53 pm

Thank you for all clarifications.
I hope you'll enjoy Linux Mint so much to "switch" the development on Linux! ;D

By the way I get a systematic crash on Windows 10 when I try to resize the scale factor of HUD and menus, but excluding this, QBism Super8 is a GREAT experience! Thank you for all your efforts!