PAK88 won't activate?

qbism Super8 is a gritty software-rendering 3D engine based on Makaqu and other GPL Quake source code.
hardrockbluesky

PAK88 won't activate?

Post by hardrockbluesky » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:09 pm

Hey, I've been playing Quake for the first time through with super8 and I love it after trying all the software based engines I could find. But I decided to try out colored lighting and palette changes and can't get pak88 to do anything. Renaming to pak2, putting it in its own folder with -game in cmd.exe, nothing seems to work. Colored lighting on or off in console doesn't change the look of default quake maps at all [and my understanding is that the info for that is in pak88]. Trying to load different palettes from pak88 also doesn't work, even using the "r_palette =" command in the readme.

I tried to google any info on this as I figure it's just me being a noob but nothing I try gets the palettes or colored lights to load.

func_qbism

Re: PAK88 won't activate?

Post by func_qbism » Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:13 pm

Colored light .lit files (and transparent water .vis files) are not included in the pak. Get them here:
https://quaketastic.com/?dir=files/misc/litvis_packs
id1_litvis.zip is for the original maps. Somewhere on the web may also be other versions.

Working deep in a project, much can be taken for granted. I realize the contents of pak88 were not listed anywhere, so screeshots of contents attached.
dir-gfx.png
dir-maps.png
dir-maps.png (9.25 KiB) Viewed 424 times
dir-progs.png
Welcome to Rivendale, Mister Anderson.