scr_ofs and multiplayer

qbism Super8 is a gritty software-rendering 3D engine based on Makaqu and other GPL Quake source code.
Hellser

scr_ofs and multiplayer

Post by Hellser » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:46 am

Upon joining a multiplayer server, scr_ofs doesn't seem to apply anymore. If this is to deter from cheating, I understand. But it seems that qbism likes to hide the weapon, even if the weapon height is set to high. I would like to note, this (weapon height under Gameplay...) doesn't even apply when joining a server as well.

Edit: Oh, and the latest Super8, the transparent lava is.. iffy. Maybe a separate cvar, maybe r_lavaalpha or.. an option turn off lava transparency totally?
Last edited by Hellser on Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

func_qbism

Re: scr_ofs and multiplayer

Post by func_qbism » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:56 am

True, offset does not apply with multiplayer. This is standard Quake behavior. But it is an annoying unexpected behavior to ignore these cvars.

The viewmodel vertical offset calculation used by super8 is based on Fitzquake or Quakespasm as I recall. This is a challenge due to modern screen resolutions and additional HUD options. There's a QS fork that attempted to restore the Winquake position that I might look at: https://github.com/bangstk/Quakespasm

The wording on the menu settings should be more accurate. These are still actually the view offset cvars.

Lava- I like it transparent, but realize most engines default to opaque. So maybe a cvar, or cvars for water/ slime/ lava.
Welcome to Rivendale, Mister Anderson.

Hellser

Re: scr_ofs and multiplayer

Post by Hellser » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:14 am

It's your source port, and I understand if you want it (lava) transparent. Just for me, it's rather odd to see it.

Also, anything to fix the viewmodel position at this point will be lovely. Super8 is a damn nice engine, and I've been recommending it to everyone that I can who has interest in Quake for a primary or alternative source port.